Thursday, December 20, 2012

Everyday Angels


Angels are everywhere.  You and I know them, feel their presence, benefit from their love each and every day....if we take the time to acknowledge the love when it crosses our paths.  Human beings are angels, of that I am sure.  This holiday season has been a rough one for all of us, in the wake of the sad events that went on in Newtown, CT last Friday.  There is constant talk of the 26 angels who lost their lives and lots of plans being made and efforts undertaken to honor them.  We’re all thinking about them, and about their families and how devastated and shocked they must be.
When the news broke, I was just beginning the four-day task of baking 60 pounds of dog biscuits for a sale at my little school.   I knew immediately that I wanted to donate the money I’d be earning in some meaningful way, in light of the sadness and powerlessness we are all feeling right now.  I decided the best way for me to do that would be to honor my own angels.
There is such tremendous good happening in the world around us...and some of it is happening right here in Portland, Maine...in our own community.  Before I opened my business, I had the wonderful opportunity to work with some of the most giving, compassionate, genuinely loving people I’ve ever met.  It is in part because of their encouragement, belief in me and the example they set that I even HAVE the wonderful business that I’ve been able to build these last 6+ years.  They taught me how important it is to have a loving, generous heart.
I’m speaking about Stephanie Volo, Alex Fisher, Blake Findlay, Patty Smith and Kristen Smith of the Planet Dog team.  From the very beginning, Alex and Stephanie built their business around the idea of giving back.  Did you know that?  A portion of their company’s earnings have ALWAYS been dedicated and ear-marked for charitable causes centered around improving the lives of dogs in a variety of ways.  Kristen Smith has worked tirelessly for years to promote and extend the work of the Planet Dog Foundation.  In the up times and the down times, Planet Dog has never failed to give back, and to be caring and grateful stewards in our community.  When I wrote to Stephanie to tell her I was donating $500 to the Planet Dog Foundation, I told her I’d learned to have a giving heart from her....and I meant that sincerely.
In the days since the Newtown violence occurred, I have thought a lot about angels....those little souls now in heaven, but also those here on earth.  My life has been touched by so many earth angels like the Planet Dog folks through the years...people who were kind, supportive, giving, loving...with no expectation of anything in return.  All of these people have taught me how to love by their fine examples.  We need each other and we’re all in this life together, after all.  Kindness matters.
Before I went to sleep two nights ago, I made a list of 26 everyday angels who have touched my life in big and small ways.  Perhaps they’re good listeners, generous givers, excellent huggers....it doesn’t matter what their angelic quality is, the important thing is that they ACT...and that they continue to act...with kind, open hearts.  
Today, I am filled with a profound joy.  My dear mentors and guides, Stephanie Volo and Kristen Smith from Planet Dog just left my little school after being loved up by my dog students with a check for $520.00 from me to continue the amazing work of the Planet Dog Foundation.  This check honors the 26 angels who lost their lives last week and was given in acknowledgement of 26 everyday angels who have touched my life.  26 x $20 = $520.  If your name is on my list of everyday angels...this donation is my way of saying THANK YOU for being willing to reach out and love others.  Please visualize a $20 bill from your hands being tucked into the wings of one of the sweet angels who lost their lives so abruptly last week.  
If you have never heard about Planet Dog Foundation or read the mission statement for Planet Dog, please please take a moment to go to their website and browse around.  We are so very lucky to have such a fine company, run by a lovely bunch of earth angels, right here in our very own community.  Your patronage at their retail store and purchasing of their quality products extends the work they are able to do in our community and far, far beyond.  I am so fortunate to count them among my personal angels.
Before I name my everyday angels, I want to tell you how wonderful it makes you feel to GIVE...and I encourage all of you to give of yourselves from your hearts.  Reach out and touch someone with gentleness.  It makes you a better person, and we need angels here on this planet.

My Everyday Angels:

Stephen Andrew
Jane Begert
Michael Bernier
Kristen Boze
Joan Burke
Linda Campbell
Sherrie Chapman
Nancy Cooper
Brody Cullenberg
Carl Cullenberg
Delaine Hutchins
Judy Lappin
Elsa Larsen
Barbara McAllister
Evan McElligott
Roger Milliken
Victoria Rawski
Jenny Robinson
Michael Seymour
Kelley Souviney
Karen Stray-Gunderson
Tiffany Tappan
Patty Vashon
Stephanie Volo
Amy Waldrop
Angela Weymouth

1 comment:

  1. It’s nice of you honor to those people who you consider as “angels” in your life. Life is beautiful when you're surrounded by people who are good listeners, generous givers, and continue to act with kindness without expecting anything in return. Thanks to these people for believing and encouraging you to take the leap of faith in starting you own business. Now that you’ve been established for more than 6 years, how lovely that it’s your turn to become an “angel” to their lives, by generously giving back to their charity. I wish you all the best!

    Clint Shaff @ Franchise Match

    ReplyDelete